son recently compiled this fact sheet about Montserrat, which
I think might also prove useful.
Facts about Montserrat
[primary source: CIA World Factbook 1995]
- Location: Eastern Caribbean, 16° 45 minutes North
latitude and 62° 12 minutes West longitude
- Area: 100 sq. km. Coastline: 40 km.
- Climate: tropical
- Population: 13,000
- Life expectancy: 78 years
groups: black, white
- Religions: Anglican, Methodist, Roman Catholic, other
- Language: English
- Literacy: 97 percent
Dependency status: overseas territory
of the United Kingdom
- Capital: Plymouth
Flag: blue, with flag of UK in one
corner and Montserrat's coat of arms
- National flower: lobster claw (heliconia, banana-like
plant with showy bracts)
bird: Montserrat oriole (black and yellow, native to Montserrat's
- Economy: unstable because of volcanic activity
- Industries: tourism, rum, textiles, electronic appliances
- Agriculture: cabbages, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes,
onions, hot peppers, livestock products, limes
- Currency: 2.7 East Caribbean dollars equal 1.0 U.S.
- Transportation system: Montserrat is a
relatively poor economy so everyone does not have a car. Most
public transportation originates from Plymouth City. This
consists of a fleet of 8 forty-passenger buses. Each bus can
hold approximately 30-40 passengers. The main road that circle
Montserrat is Windy Hill Road. It is a 2 lanes paved road.
I hope that you can piece together the
facts and use them in your analysis of our island and in the formation
of your suggestions to our government.
Melvin Clifton Proprietor
Melvin Clifton is a fictitious character. Any relationship to
organizations or persons past or present is strictly coincidental.
- Describe the economy of Montserrat.
- How might a catastrophic hurricane or volcanic eruption affect the economy of Montserrat?
- Which characteristics of the island make it vulnerable to